Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Dollop of Blog

Holy crap!  A new blog post! Let's hope it's mind-blowing, earth-shattering and dare I say death-defying!
 
Are you wondering what's happened to me? I'm kind of wondering that myself. 
 
The truth is that I am working a lot (like everyone else), I'm tired, I'm preoccupied, my health problems are kicking up their heels again, and all that is not very interesting. 
 
However: I'm doing a lot of cool reading for work these days. I'm working on a reading program for what are these days termed "juvenile offenders," so part of what I get to do is talk with two writing instructors/published authors about literature that would be appropriate for this population. Despite my thoroughly liberal arts background, I'm getting introduced to a lot of great fiction I haven't read before. Since I LOVE to read, and I am a huge lit geek, this is fine by me.
 
Speaking of that, I need to get back to it. But rest assured that I am still alive, just posting sporadically. I leave you with this snippet:
 
Viva: Do kangaroos have bellybuttons?
 
Sweet Dub: You know, that's a good question. I bet they don't have a cute little bellybutton like you. 
 
Viva:  Why not?
 
Sweet Dub: Because you are a placental mammal, and a kangaroo is not.
 
I'm serious. Do you see? Do you see what I am dealing with?


Got a little couch potato?
Check out fun summer activities for kids.

4 comments:

Cee in SF said...

If I had a child, I would've said the same thing. Viva should know she's no kangaroo and he explained why. I love science so!!

I'll have a good thought for you and your health issues.

The Trebs said...

will you share some of the title you've been introduced to?? I'd love to have some recommendations.

sploo said...

You lucky duck! You're getting paid to read? That's way better than getting paid to watch TV, especially bad TV. I hope you'll share your discoveries with us. I love the YA literature.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

cee: I know. He just cracks me up sometimes. In other news, I'm going to the doctor today.

trebs/sploo: so far, here are the recommendations (and I have only gotten to read one of them, because I have other work to do. Annoying!)... Drown, by Junot Diaz, Bless Me Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya and Vintage Baldwin, by James Baldwin (I'd read him, before, of course, but hadn't read some of the work in this anthology). Sploo, unfortunately, I'm not reading YA lit for this project because the juvenile justice system incarcerates "youth" up to age 25. The average age of the "youth" in this program is 19. Maybe next time around?