Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ever So Slightly Busy

I'm on maternity leave and to most people that seems to mean that I must be lying around with my feet up, watching home shows. Perhaps that is what I should be doing, but alas, I am also one of those people who can't sit still when I have a big block of time in front of me and major life changes on the way, to wit: having the baby and moving to a new house one week later.

One week from today, at about this time, I should be in the operating room having a human being removed from my uterus. While it looked like Miss Thing might come early, now I am of the opinion that she was just teasing us, as her sister did five years ago, and she will come exactly on the day she is supposed to. If she does come slightly early, I am hoping for Thursday - which is two days from now, and is my stepfather's birthday. Since he has been having numerous health problems, I think that would be kind of nice.

In the meantime, I've been trying to tie up every loose end possible:

* Viva's Halloween costume is almost done. She will be Barry B. Benson or my name ain't Mama Blah. (Well, technically, it's not. Whatever, you get the gist.)

* I have researched all of our state propositions and figured out how I am going to vote on each one (I vote by mail, so all I have to do now is fill out my ballot).

* I am halfway through online traffic school for that damn "did not come to a complete stop" traffic ticket.

* I've paid all my bills.

* I have completed all maternity leave paperwork.

* I have done an insane amount of laundry (in fact, I have a load in right now).
* I've drafted the birth announcement, created labels and bought stamps for the mailing, and bought the announcement cards to be printed when the baby arrives.

* I've packed almost all the books in our living room.

* I've packed all unnecessary bathroom items. Today I'm moving on to the kitchen (upper cabinets - all the dishes I use for entertaining, mixing bowls, wineglasses, etc).

* I created a "baby countdown" for Viva whereby I bought 7 small gifts for her (squirtgun, Play-Doh, SpongeBob cap, etc.) and placed each in a brightly colored bag, numbered 1 through 7. She gets to open one each night starting tonight and then cross the day off on the calendar. She does not know this yet.

* I finalized my hospital bag items. Bag is packed and waiting. All I have to do is throw my toiletries in and I'm good to go.

* I went back though my emails and finally found pictures of the house for you to enjoy:


Here's the exterior...


...the living room...


...and the patio.

* And now, I think I deserve a pedicure. Quick, to the Blahmobile!

5 comments:

Mango Mama said...

MBB, It's gorgeous, but you better learn to sit your butt down. This time next week, it's a whole other game plan. Right now you're definitely buzzing on some pre-birth over-the-top energy. Happy to hear you're feeling good.

Anonymous said...

Geez Louise. You are making me feel woefully inadequate today. I can't even get the upstairs cleaned (as is the evidence right now as I type this). You've got that nesting thing surging through you, girl.

Love the house. Am jealous. Spanish style = gorgeous.

Don't forget to breathe.

Anonymous said...

my honey is happy!
-Willistyle

Liz Dwyer said...

Goodness, you are making me tired! You have been so on my mind... the baby is still cooking, huh?

I want to move into that house too, LOL! I will email you to find out when/how I can help you pack up and get moved.

Cee in SF said...

It's my favorite style. I love it! Congrats!