Wednesday, January 01, 2014

one little word 2014

Well, hello and Happy Twenty-Fourteen!

I hope your holidays were spectacular. Over here in Blah Blah Land, we were felled by nasty colds the week before Christmas. By 3 pm Christmas Day, the kids were still not out of their pajamas and any chance of us getting to my in-laws' for dinner was twisting in the wind, as neither Sweet Dub nor I could summon the gumption to peel ourselves off the couch. We actually did not do much of anything until the weekend. You'd think I could sit down at the keyboard at least once but obviously I was just too far gone for even that!

Moving on: here we are, and I have spent some precious moments doing a bit of a "Year in Review" in my journal and setting some priorities (NOT resolutions, you know how I am) for the coming year. I also caught up a bit on my blog reading and ran across the "one little word" concept, thanks to Elise over at enJOY it. I think I vaguely remember it from last year, when I considered it but decided then to create a mantra rather than just one word. I am a late adopter.

At any rate, one little word is a concept originally developed by Ali Edwards. She asks:


Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in [the coming year]? 
It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you.

The idea is to find a word that you want to guide your steps over the next year. One little word didn't come to me right away -- I considered and rejected several, and then: STRETCH popped into my mind. Ba-bam, that's the one.

Why STRETCH? Because in 2014:

I want to move my body more.
I want to expand my horizons.
I want to get outside of my comfort zone.
I want to increase and enhance my skills.
I want to move beyond my current parameters.

I don't, however, want to increase my waistline. STRETCH pants are not the angle I'm going for. (Although I did get two new pairs of yoga pants for Christmas and they are bomb.)

How's about you? You got one little word?

2 comments:

Bridget said...

My one little word last year was "Freedom." Apparently it's harder to obtain that previously thought, so I am single-mindedly choosing the same word again.

And applying it all the hell over the place.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

Oh, Bridget, I feel you. I am trying to think of something encouraging to say but all I got this morning are platitudes - stick with it! keep moving forward! - and well, blech to that. But we have all been there, wanting a different path but not seeing a way. The more you put it out there the more help you will get, or at least that's been my experience. I wish you freedom this year! Sending good vibes from down south.