My birthday is on its way (August 11th), and it’s the big one this year. I’m turning 40. Sweet Dub says I shouldn’t tell people that, but you know what? I don’t really have a problem with it. If other people do, that’s their issue. I’m not going to get all hung up about it.
Since this is a “milestone” birthday, it gives me pause and makes me a bit reflective. Here are some reasons why I feel blessed to have lived through nearly 40 years on this planet:
* I honestly do not give a rat’s ass about what other people think about how I live my life.
* I still get carded when I buy alcoholic beverages (good genes haven’t let me down yet).
* I don’t have to be trendy.
* I am more comfortable with myself than when I turned 30, and much more so than when I turned 20. This makes me look forward to the years to come.
* I have finally learned how to say no.
* While I do like to look good, I realize that (to quote India.Arie), “I am not my hair, I am not my skin…” Who I am is not just what I look like.
* On a related note, and this is not a contradiction of my previous point: regular application of moisturizer and sunscreen are critically important.
* Finding the right life partner makes a huge difference in how you live your life as you age. Find someone who makes you laugh, who makes you think, and who has his/her head on straight. It will save you a lot of grief.
* Good friends are a great gift.
* Sometimes it’s easier to let the small things go. And there are a lot more small things than you might think.
* Certain things you can’t go cheap on. Wine, bras, and shoes come to mind. Oh, and garbage bags. Don’t go with the cheap garbage bags.
This is what comes to mind this minute. I am sure I will amend later. What would you add? Even if you haven’t yet reached 40, what are some important life lessons you’ve learned?
P.S. New post up at Belly Overwhelmed, too.