Saturday, July 17, 2004

A "WTF?" Moment

So I was in my local Trader Joe’s the other day, minding my business in the cheese aisle with my lovely Lovey in the shopping cart. An elderly gentleman came by and starting talking to Lovey in a heavy Russian accent. She was flirting with him in the way she does sometimes unexpectedly with totally random people, and she even smiled at him. The man said, “Oh, she looks like you, same smile, same face.” I said, “Oh, you think so? Thanks!” Then he leaned closer to her, smiling, and said, “You’re a blackie!” and then walked off. I was taken aback for a second, and then I shrugged and said to myself, “Well, yes, she is.” I guess the question is, as she gets older, what would she say in response?

Will says, “She is her father’s child. She’ll say, ‘And you’re a honky!’”

In all honesty, I do not think the guy meant anything bad by it. It is just one of those random encounters that take one by surprise. I guess I am generally not thinking about how people perceive us as I go about the mundane rituals of my day-to-day life.

No comments: