Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Twenty-Three Days to Go

My birthday is coming up. Again. Funny how they do that.

Sweet W. recently asked me what I would like for my birthday. I honestly have no idea.

World peace? Do they still make that? That is what I want. I swear, the world has gone berserkers.

In anticipation of people asking me how old I'm going to be, I was fully prepared to say "Thirty-five." And then I realized I've gotten to the age where I'm saying "thirty-five" to sound young. Thirty-five is not young, kids. Nor is the age which I actually am.

If I weren't so frickin' senile, I might have realized that in the first place.

Thirty-five was a good year. But thirty-eight* has great potential, don't you think?

* I don't know why this is freaking me out so much -- I shrieked inwardly when I typed it and my insides turned to toxic sludge. I have friends who are older than I who no doubt will comment here to tell me how much I'm boring them. (Hi, Splooey!) "Call me when you turn forty," they will no doubt say. "Yawn."

Ack! I am about to be late for a meeting. Cheerio!

6 comments:

Cee in SF said...

Yeah! I love a birthday countdown!

38, huh? I'll soon know that joy. By soon, I mean a few years from now. My revenge for the cotija comment. Hee hee.

sploo said...

I BEG YOUR PARDON! How dare you imply that I am one moment older than 32 years of age? As far as the age closet is concerned, I am ensconced in that sucka for the foreseeable future.

Well, happy birthday to you, then.

The Trebs said...

I can so relate! I turn 35 in 24 days, and really, it is frankly too close to 40 for me! I've decided I'm going to begin counting backwards this year, so when people ask me at 40 how old I am, "I can say 35 and younger every day!" Then by the time I'm 80, I can tell everyone I'm -15 !

Lisa Blah Blah said...

Cee: Ouch.

Sploo: Double ouch.

Atrebs: 35 is nothing. It is like a cool breeze on a summer's day. I'm going to start telling people I'm 50 so they can act shocked at how well I'm holding up.

E. said...

I hit 38 a month ago, and so far it's cool. It's weird, though, approaching 40 when I still feel like I'm 27. I am no longer at all able to guess people's age if they're anywhere near my age, b/c everyone seems older than me to me. Unless they're scruffy arty unkempt types like myself, in which case I assume that they're my age.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

e: I feel, yes, maybe about 27 or 28. It is bizarre, this aging thing.

anon: I do need a couple of new T-shirts. We'll see.