Sunday, November 03, 2013

Simple Sunday

We Blah Blahs spend much of our spare time in nature. We are blessed to live in Southern California, where the weather is conducive to being outdoors most of the time.

Today we spent the afternoon in Playa Vista, which has a number of protected habitats:








We hiked around on some trails, relay-raced each other around the playground, and brainstormed a concept for our Christmas card this year--one of the hazards of being married to a photographer is that you can't just snap some pics and hope for the best.

Fortunately we all love coming up with cool ideas for photo shoots. We came up with not one but two concepts to try, and we will see which one we like best. Of course they require completely different outfits for each, but I am game because I think either one will make people laugh. I will post pics from each when they happen and we will see if our tremendous brilliant vision has been realized.

In other world news, I woke up last night/ this morning at 1:30-ish and happened upon the documentary Blackfish, which explores the plight of orcas in captivity at places like SeaWorld. Let's just say it is not a pretty picture. Let's go further and say that it is really disturbing. And heartbreaking. And infuriating. And I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day. And you should see it if you can. And then we should, like, storm the gates of SeaWorld and liberate them all, except they probably would not survive in the wild, not to mention how would we transport them all, so that's a sucky plan.

This is probably why I am not some kind of dictator or some such. I lack planning skillz. However, I do make a pretty awesome frittata, so I am not a complete loss. And I stay out of protected habitats! So there's that, then.

I joke, but what can I do from my comfy chair to rectify issues like this? I have been reading more about it but have yet to see concrete suggestions about how we as regular Jo viewers might help. I need a road map. I can think for myself (mostly) but I'd like to know what options are on the table.

In the meantime, I am sad for everyone involved. And this isn't what I set out to write about but I guess it's where my head is at.

No pithy conclusion. Just sad.

No comments: