Saturday, February 08, 2014

Working a Long-Range Plan


Snake Game board
Image Credit: Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Chapter Two
In which we discuss how to get there from here.

Yesterday, I had lunch with a dear friend who is also a former co-worker – in fact, my former office-mate. We talked about our future plans. I told her that I am feeling this pull to go back to school. “For what?” she asked.  


“I’m not sure yet,” I said. “Communications, maybe?”



She made a face and snorted. “Don’t waste your money with that, you’re already a great communicator,” she said.



“But I want to learn more of the tech side of things,” I said. “So I don’t need to go back to school full-time, just take a class here and there.”



“Yeah, try looking at some extension courses,” she said. “And I can connect you with a couple of writers who are freelancing and doing really well. One in particular, L – she is really easy to talk to, and she can tell you how she segued from freelancing part-time into a career as a full-time writer.”



It all sounds so simple, in a way. But I know I have to take one step at a time as part of a long-term plan to transform what my work life looks like now.




I am telling you this because I expect you to hold me to it, blogosphere. Don't let me shirk!

No comments: