Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Visualize Whirled Peas

I have been running around a lot this week, and I'm currently waiting for a writing assignment from my client, who said he'd have it to me by 1 pm. Note that it is now 2:02 pm. I've caught up a little on my blog reading (but not entirely) and thought I'd post quickly so my 3 regular readers know I'm not dead.

Hi! I'm still here!

I'm beginning to think that I should adopt one day as my writing day (a la Poppymom - hi, Robin!) because it doesn't seem like I am moving ahead with this book all that quickly. And you know, this book should really write itself! And that would be all easy and stuff. And money would fall from the sky, and all over the world, disharmony would disappear, and we'd all ride around on unicorns, singing "Kumbaya" and waving at one another with great peppiness and cheer.

Speaking of unlikelihoods, I have been working on a little bit of graphic design this week (aren't you proud? I knew you would be.). It's not as easy as people make it out to be, especially when you're just getting started. I think a book (though not anything with "for Dummies" in the title, because I just can't go out like that) would be helpful here, because I'm kind of just floundering around a little bit. Ah! A trip to the library seems to be in order. Too bad my local branches don't open until 12:30 and it's 2 and I am waiting for my work to come and I have to pick Viva up at 4.

What?

I'm not following my own sentences. That can't be good.

It's Hard Out There for an Imp

Last Halloween, Viva attended a Halloween party at which she received a goody bag containing suitably creepy items. One of these was what we call The Squishy Eyeball. It is about the size of a red flame seedless grape, and it is made of this weird squishy stuff, of origins indeterminate. It feels like a gummi bear, but it's also slightly tacky, so it picks up lint. I hate The Squishy Eyeball. Viva revels in my discomfort over The Squishy Eyeball. This morning as I was getting dressed, I found The Squishy Eyeball in my shoe.

So that's how we're going to play this, is it? I don't think she knows who she's foolin' with.

More impishness:

When it's my night to put Viva to bed, I read her two books and then turn out the light and we snuggle while I tell her a Moki story. Moki is the name of a puppy I had when I was 11, and she gets into all sorts of wild (oftentimes anthropomorphized) shenanigans in these stories. Except for the original story if how we got Moki, I never tell the same story twice. The stories are made up on the spot, usually based on what Viva comes up with. Last night, I asked her which story she wanted to hear, and she said, "The one where she gets trapped in a fire!"

Thinking fast, I came up with a story where the smoke alarm in Moki's apartment goes off in the middle of the night and her parents wrap her in a blanket and carry her out of the building, and the firefighters come and put out a small fire that started when someone in the building was making toast and then they say heartily, "Nothing to worry about, folks, you can return to your homes!" And Moki and her parents go back inside and Moki goes back to bed, the end. (There were more embellishments, particularly about the firefighters, but we don't need to go into that here except to say that Viva is KEE-RAZY for firefighters. In a good way.)

"You forgot about the part where she gets TRAPPED! In a FIRE!" Viva said.

"But I don't want her to get trapped in a fire," I said. "And I don't want you having nightmares* about being trapped in a fire."

Viva was clearly disgusted. "But I want to hear about getting trapped in a fire!"

"Listen," I said. "What do you usually think about before you fall asleep?"

"I think...about...spiders. And pumpkins!**" she said.

"Well, I want you to think about something nice before you fall asleep," I said soothingly. "Think about puppies, and flowers, and fish."

"NO!" She objected. "I want to think about pictures and CDs, and, and -- CLOSETS***!"


* Viva has been having a lot of bad dreams lately.
** Bad dreams about spiders, and pumpkins.
*** Closets are kind of scary. Anything could be hiding in there. But apparently this has not occurred to Viva, because she slept straight through the night with no bad dreams.

No comments: