As for me, I'm still getting caught up on my blog reading. Horrified to come across this article, via Bitch PhD -- evidently now some pharmacists are refusing to fill women's prescriptions for vitamins and antibiotics due to their religious beliefs. I can't believe how crazy this world has become.
Speaking of which, I just finished reading T.C. Boyle's A Friend of the Earth, which is a truly terrifying vision of our environmental future which may just scare the shit out of you, if you're into that kind of thing. For the most part, I prefer to bury my head in the sand about stuff like global warming, mainly because I feel like I can't do a thing about it, but nonetheless, I'm glad I read this.
In other news, Viva now likes to take off all her clothes and dance and sing naked. Yesterday after her nap, she treated me to her version of "Rhubarb Pie (Hot Commodity)" by Laurie Berkner, complete with full-on naked rump shakin'. Sweet William likes to think she will grow up to be an artist. At this point, I'm thinking she has a good shot at performance art and/or interpretive dance.
Aside from that, now that Viva's birthday is over and vacation is coming to a close, I'm back to dealing with all the usual questions, to wit:
- Why can't we find a house to rent for less than $3,100 a month*?
- Why is everyone in our building/on our street/in our universe so fucking loud?
- Where is my magical second freelance job/when will it materialize?
- Is white the new black for spring?
- Who do I contact when I notice continuity problems on Viva's favorite TV programs?
- Why are all my writing projects swirling around in a vortex, rather than sorting themselves out and allowing themselves to be written?
- Are low-rise jeans finally out? And a related question: can America please for God's sake please collectively cover its ass? Because I'm sick of seeing everyone's ass/thong/boxers hanging out of their pants. Please, put it away.
- Is anything funnier than Go Fug Yourself? Because I don't think so. Can we talk about John Corbett? What happened to him?
* And for those of you that are saying, "3,100 bucks a month?! That's a mortgage payment!" I say to you gently and only mildly scornfully, "No, my friends. It's not." Not here in Southern California, from whence I shall never move, so I am pretty much shit out of luck.