Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday Update

...or, What I've Been Up to Instead of Blogging

1. I've been writing! Yes, writing! And if I keep writing as much as I've been writing for the next month or so, I may actually finish my book. At least a first draft. And that would make me so friggin' happy, you can't even imagine. Because regardless of what happens to it after that, at least I will have done the one damn thing I've been trying to do my whole life. I am also in the midst of creative idea mania, so that once I finish this book, I have a variety of other projects to work on.

Here is a quote for you: "Writing is hard. Not writing is harder."

Strange, but true. As far as attribution, I believe Janet Burroway said it, but I am too lazy (and it is too close to the end of Viva's nap) for me to look it up, so you'll have to take my word for it.

2. I've also been reading a lot. And my problem is that I read so fast, I can't keep my "Bookish Blah" sidebar updated, because I'd have to edit it every couple of days. So sorry...just finished Music for Torching, which was horribly good, dark comedy, which I loved right through to the end, when it took a horrendously tragic turn. So not funny. I'm so mad at the author I could spit. Oh, but I just can't be mad at her because she is so enormously talented. Damn her!

3. I've been playing around and doing Viva's hair in different ways. This has been, in a weird way, a creative outlet of sorts. She actually likes to have her hair done, and she likes it if she gets to choose what I do with it. For example, I will give her the option, once I've parted her hair into sections, whether to leave it in Afro-puffs, or take the extra time to do either double-stranded twists or just mini-plaits. She is such a vain little creature that she hardly ever opts for puffs unless we are trying to get out of the house to do something she wants to do -- and even so, she will often decide it's worth it to take the extra ten minutes or so to wait for further embellishment of her coif. Someday I will take pictures of her various hairstyles and post them, but um, not today, mm-kay?

4. I talked to my mom and Grandma. I don't feel that all that much has been resolved. Their point of view seems to be, "Well, yes, we are treating you differently, but you shouldn't feel bad about it." In actuality, this has been kind of liberating, because at least now I know where I stand. Nobody's knocking themselves out for me, so I don't need to knock myself out for them and I don't need to feel guilty about it.

There's more to say, but I realized that as usual, I've gotten carried away writing and Viva has now been asleep 2.5 hours and I need to go wake her up or she won't go to bed until 9:00. Eeps. See youse!

No comments: