Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Home is a Wreck

...but I'm not a home wrecka like Angelina Jolie.

It's the post-vacation clean-up time. I just did the grocery shopping, and I need to wash dishes and vacuum and maybe do some laundry. My bed isn't made, there's crap lying all over the living room, and I just made myself a cup of tea and decided to blog.

It's not really procrastinating if I look up job stuff while I'm online, right?

Speaking of which, I e-mailed my resume to some poor unsuspecting soul yesterday, along with a letter about how great I am and how they would have to be completely insane not to hire me. I think those were the exact words I used. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I am doing some pro bono work for a local charter school, or rather for the group that is trying to get a new charter school off the ground. If this all works out, we might send Viva there in 2008 for kindergarten. If she actually did end up going there (instead of the private school in which she is now enrolled), this pro bono work could potentially save us somewhere between $85,000 and $90,000, depending on how much tuition goes up. Yes, for primary school. So it may actually not be pro bono as it is traditionally defined, but in its truest literal sense, it will, i.e., for good, i.e., all to the good. All to the good for the Blah Blah Family, that is!

[I'm sorry, I know I am such a huge geek. I took years and years of Latin, from 8th grade all the way into college. I can't help myself.]

Random Gushing

Can I just say how much I love the Farmer's Market? I just bought a basket of tomatoes for a buck. One dollar!

And Now for an Important News Break...

Scary earthquake news from Japan, although from what "experts" say, Japan got lucky and so far, there are no casualties and only a couple of small tsunamis. I have nothing snarky to say about this. It reminds me that Southern California could be hit at any time, and we have no preparations made for a Viva of this size and season. Our earthquake bag probably has six-month size outfit in there for her. And no shoes!

Anyone Care for Ham?

Last night, I was treated to a re-enactment of a scene from Return of the King.

Sweet William: Here, I'll be Faramir, and you be Aragorn.

Viva [in a slow, deep voice]: And the king...came back...[moving slowly]

SW: And Faramir, the last Steward of Gondor, bowed low before the King...[bows low] and gave him his crown... [tries to put imaginary crown on Viva's head, but she is bouncing all around and giggling]

SW: Aragorn? I've never seen you behave this way. [more giggling and squealing] Well [deepening his voice again], Faramir picked the King up, and swung him high in the air! [screeching laughter] And then Faramir put him on top of his head! [screaming hysteria from Viva]

What am I supposed to do with these two?

I am shocked and awed. There, I said it.

No comments: