Friday, September 30, 2005

Bloggus Interruptus

Sorry, I got cut short. I typed that last post as our building "handyman" was drilling holes in the wall around the window in the master bedroom where the termites have been partying all the time, like it's 1999. Our handyman acts like he knows what he's doing, but quite often we have to get him to repair the same things more than once. I am, therefore, hesitant to declare victory over the termites. He did fill the holes with some sort of anti-termite venom, but again, given his track record, I am skeptical.

Completely off the subject (or "OT" as we say in Internetland): how much do I need this? I love Gregory Maguire, and while I am leery of a sequel (and, God forbid, a musical that might be forthcoming, as with the original), I am totally getting this as soon as I am able.

Speaking of books, here's my LA Public Library Hold status report:

Ready for pickup
The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro
Blonde, Joyce Carol Oates
Bel Canto: A Novel, Ann Patchett
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke
The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold

In Transit
The Fabulous Sylvester, Joshua Gamson
Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro

Please note that I am not too lazy to write all that down, but I am too lazy to go look up all the links. At any rate, these should keep me busy over the weekend. In my head, I can hear the little girl from the Book Channel on the book episode of Elmo's World saying, "I LOVE BOOKS!" That is kind of creepy, because it's not a little girl's voice, it's Andrea Martin, who doesn't sound little girlish at all. Did you know that Andrea Martin played Aunt Voula in My Big Fat Greek Wedding? This is why I love the Internet, because it allows me to make connections between the Sesame Street Fairy Godmother and "What you mean, he don't eat no meat?...Oh, that's okay. I make lamb." She's also Martin Short's sister-in-law. Thanksgiving dinners must be a bit bizarro.

Okay, I'm off to pick up my own little lamb chop and launch our weekend. Opa!

No comments: