Thursday, September 15, 2005

Short and Sweet

Not much to report.

OPERATION GET A JOB 2005: No one has actually offered me a job yet. So I continue trolling the Internet and sending out my resume and meeting with people. Boring. My next interview will be Friday, and it will be a two-parter. I meet with two people in one location from 12:30 to 1:30, and then I meet with three people in another location from 2:30 to 4. This makes me a bit nervous, because the very latest I want to pick up Viva is 4:30, but I guess she'll have to get used to the later time since I may indeed be working full-time. Groan.

HAVES vs. HAVE-SO-MUCH-MORES

I have quite a lovely and blessed life, with not much to complain about, really. Yesterday, I was at my friend-of-a-friend N's house, where we have been having ballet ever since my friend C moved away to Noo Yawk (sniff, sniff). The father of one of the kids had the afternoon off, and so he brought his daughter Dixon instead of having her mom or nanny bring her. The kids had already started their chaotic plies and tendus in the living room, so we retreated to the kitchen, where N was showing me this dandy new gadget she had gotten at Crate and Barrel. Dixon's dad said matter-of-factly, "I just bought an $800 coffeemaker."

"Oh my God!" N shrieked. I pinched myself and then shut down, realizing there was no way in hell I could safely contribute to the conversation. N continued, "Does it do everything?"

Well, for 800 bucks, you would certainly fucking hope so, wouldn't you?

Dixon's dad explained that he had been making trips to Starbucks 2 and 3 times per day, at 4 to 5 bucks a pop, so he added up his coffee tab and rationalized that he would be saving money by buying this coffeemaker. "It's changed my life," he said simply. "The coffee is incredible."

I don't know what to tell you except that this man is associate producer and director of a very long-running soap opera, for which he has won 4 Emmys, and he has more money than I will ever see in my lifetime. It really is like living on a different planet.

I'm going to shuffle back to my happy little planet now. Toodles!

No comments: