Monday, November 06, 2006

That's Entertainment

Sweet Dub was watching In My Country this morning when I got up. I watched the last ten minutes of it with him, although I kept expecting Samuel L. Jackson to bust out with a line like, "I'm sick of all these muthafuckin' snakes on this muthafuckin' plane!" I don't know what the appropriate line would be as it's all about post-apartheid South Africa and reconciliation and those are some heavy issues. "I'm sick of all this muthafuckin' brutality in this muthafuckin' country!"? It doesn't have quite the same cachet.

At any rate, after the credits rolled, the station identification came up, and an announcer said, "You've just seen In My Country on Starz in Black. Coming up on Starz in Black, Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

We both looked at each other. I said, "Did he just say Terminator 2?"

"How is that a black movie?" Sweet Dub said. I watched the gears clicking in his head, and then he said, "Oh, you know what, there's a black guy at the end."

"What?!" I said.

"Yeah, no, there's a black guy at the end, remember? He's the one they have to go find because he's the one that started it all? It's a black dude."

Thus, because there is a black man in the last 15 minutes of the movie, it qualifies to be shown on Starz in Black.*

I'm sick of all this muthafuckin' ignorance in the muthafuckin' media!

* Please note: Starz in Black is touted as "the only movie channel dedicated to showcasing the work of Black actors, producers and directors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." And more power to them, if indeed that's what it was. If I want to see work showcasing Black actors, producers, and what-have-you, I'm not looking for a movie I could see on any other cable channel. I'm looking for something I presumably can't find anywhere else. If you turned on the Independent Film Channel and they were showing Titanic, wouldn't you be perhaps both amused and annoyed? That's all I'm saying. Truth in advertising, please.**

** Yes, I live in a dream land. It's nice here. The sky is blue, the birds are always singing, and I have an endless supply of Haagen Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream. Mmm, ice cream.

4 comments:

Cee in SF said...

I remember that guy, too. But, I also remember that S. Epatha Merkerson is the guy's wife.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

I did not remember that until I went to IMDB to get the link to the movie. You are a veritable pop culture encyclopedia!

sploo said...

That guy is the fabulous Joe Morton. You know, the Brother From Another Planet. We love him, even though he is ultimately responsible for the destruction of the world as we know it and the rise of the machines. According to that showcase of black talent, Terminator 2, that is.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

He is fabulous. Click on the link on the line there's a black guy at the end. Although I was disturbed to find he is the same age as my MOTHER. What??